tartar, bleeding gum, bad breath..

Hi, how do I remove my tartar and to avoid bleeding gum?
Asked On : Tue, 8 Jun 2010
Dentist 's  Response
hello
tartar or dental calculus is mineralized plaque that deposits between your teeth and also between teeth and gums
now when you eat something hard or brush ,then you put a pressure on this calculus which in turn puts pressure on gingiva and hence the bleeding
since calculus cant be removed by brushing , so you would nee to pay a visit to your dentist who will remove this by a process called scaling and currettage
in the meanwhile and after you have had your cleaning done by a dentist i would suggest that you maintain a good oral hygiene to avoid bleeding by following means
1.luke warm saline rinses 4-6 times daily initially and than for atleast after your food
2.have an antiseptic mouthwash after breaakfast
3.dont forget to brush your teeth before going to bed after dinner
hope this helps

Dentist Dr. Shefali Gupta's  Response
Thanks for asking query,
Dental plaque if allowed to remain on tooth get converted to dental calculus . Tartar is another name of dental calculus.It is the prime reason for gingival and periodontal infection , leads to painful swollen gums, gingival recession , bone loss,halitosis.
I suggest you to visit dentist get the scaling done , maintain oral hygiene , prevent food retention, use antiseptic mouth wash , use stolin gum paint for gum massage twice a day .
Hope this will help you.

Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Hello there,

Tartar is another name for dental calculus.

If the plaque will allowed to remain on the teeth,restorations and other dental prosthesis and it will mineralized on these areas, it will become tartar/dental calculus.

Dental calculus more difficult to remove as compare to plaque.

Dental calculus need to remove at the earliest,otherwise bacteria it harbors may irritate and damage gums.Overtime,this inflammation can lead to progressive gum disease.

The mildest form/initial stage of gum disease is called gingivitis.

If tartar is not removed and gingivitis left untreated,it can progress in to a more serious form of gum disease.
So i would suggest you visit to a dentist in your area at the earliest and get the scaling done and
follow biannual dental check-ups regularly.

Reasons of bleeding gums includes-gingivitis,vitamin c deficiency,poor oral hygiene,etc.....

In your case it does seem that bleeding gums are the result of dental calculus.
So i would again suggest you visit a dentist at the earliest.

Hope this answered your query.

Take Care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta

Bleeding gums are among initial signs of gingivitis, and tartar deposition plays important role in establishing the disease.
Care to read my article on Gingivitis : Gingival Disease and Bleeding gums
Regarding treatment aspect, you need to get SCALING treatment done by consulting your dentist, Scaling and polishing will remove all the tartar / calculus removed and if maintained properly, it will result in resolution of gingival problem and bleeding.
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Bleeding gums occurs due to poor oral hygiene, plague and calculus deposition, nutritional deficiencies, hormonal changes.
I would suggest you to get a dental checkup and oral prophylaxis every six months.
Brush your tooth twice daily.
Use antseptic mouthwash rinses twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Regards...

Dentist Dr. Akbar's  Response
GOOD BRUSH,GOOD PASTE,PROPER BRUSHING TECHNIK,BRUSHING FREQUENCY PER DAY,DENTIST CHECKUPS PREVENT TARTAR AND GUM DISEASE.IF U HAVE TARTAR GO FOR SCALING http://WWW.COSMETICDENTISTCHENNAI.CO.NR
Dentist Dr. Akbar's  Response
GOOD BRUSH,GOOD PASTE,PROPER BRUSHING TECHNIK,BRUSHING FREQUENCY PER DAY,DENTIST CHECKUPS PREVENT TARTAR AND GUM DISEASE.IF U HAVE TARTAR GO FOR SCALING WWW.COSMETICDENTISTCHENNAI.CO.NR
Dentist Dr. Roshan Khan's  Response
regular oral prophylaxis/ cleaning has to be done by a dentist/ hygenist to get rid of the tartar ( calculus) because of which the gum bleeds. advised dental cleaning every 8-12 months , and for diabetics every 6 months.