smash on the head, metallic smell, severe headache, ear ache later with nausea and fatigue. Precautionary measures?

I got upset at myself and smashed my head as hard as I could against the edge of concrete pillar type thing outside of a store, I smelled metal for a few moment afterwords and I ve had a full headache and my left eat is in sharp pain...I also feel nauseous and fatigued, I often hurt myself in some way to the head or arms when I m angry. Should I take any precautions?
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that the current episode of self harm has not led to any major internal brain injury, but we need to prevent such injuries in the future.

For this, you need counselling by a psychologist, so that you do not inflict self-harm.

As of now, if headache persists, or if there is nausea or vomiting, then, you may get a CT scan of the head done to rule out any internal bleeding.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: