recurrent loss of voice..

Hi! I always experience hoarseness of voice. It is recurring is it because I smoke or is there something wrong with my larynx?thanks
Asked On : Fri, 24 Sep 2010
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Recurring hoarseness of voice could be due to many reasons, some being acid reflux into the larynx or even recurrent laryngitis due to viral infection. You should keep warm. Avoid eating hot or cold food or drinking hot or cold fluids. Keep the temperature of food and fluids luke warm. Avoid smoking, spicy food, coffee as they can increase acid -reflux. Do not lie down immediately after a meal, rather only after 2 hours. Till then you can lie at a 45 degrees angle with head-end up. Do consult your ENT Doctor and get a complete checkup to rule out laryngitis and possible acid reflux as well. Eat healthy. Drink plenty of water. Exercise daily.
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
As you are a smoker then it is warning sign and evaluation is required as soon as possible.
There may be some growth or oedema in vocal cord giving you this problem.
Consult ENT sp. and get investigated.
Ok and bye.
Exposure to tobacco is a cause for recurrent hoarseness. If you can decrease your smoking for a few days it may establish the link. Frequently changing cigarette brands will also cause irritation of your upper airway. Other common factors for recurrent hoarseness include recurrent sore throat, infections, allergies, sinusitis, post nasal drip, GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease), LPR (Laryngo Pharyngeal Reflux), Chronic laryngitis, Vocal Abuse, Alcohol, neurological vocal cord diseases. The list is vast, so if you are over 40 years of age, then it is better to get your larynx examined by an ENT specialist.
General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
Hello.welcome.You must get a laryngoscopy done urgently as you are a smoker and has the history of recurrent hoarseness of voice.Good luck.