Asked On : Fri, 12 Oct 2012
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome,
your upper left gums affected by localised periodonitis/gingivitis.
it is due to accumulation of food debris/plaque in b/w teeth.
gingiva is inflammed,became soft,periodontal pocket also present.
visit your dentist and get your teeth cleaned.
upper left area has to be curetted and root planning also has to be done.
bone grafting also can be done to correct periodontal pocket.
use soft interdental brush and dental floss to clean your teeth.always hold your toothbrush in 45 degree angle and brush in upper arch from top to bottom and in lower arch from bottom to top.
use chlorhexidine containing mouthwash to prevent plaque accumulation.
use daily warm saline gargle too.clean your mouth after every meals.
take tab.doxycycline-100mg,once daily for 7 days to make gums intact and firm again.
Dentist Dr. Udaykumar Bondre's  Response
Hello & welcome,

If there is any kind of food debris accumulated between teeth & flossing is done in wrong way, then it will hurt your gingiva.

Even a small wound in Gingival sulus gives the feeling of utter discomfort & if it is accompanied with swelling, then it may give pulsating feeling in the same place.

First of all, stop using floss to clean your teeth unless swelling subsides completely. Till then you can visit your dentist & get your teeth thoroughly cleaned.

Antibiotics might be necessary to treat if there is any kind of gum infection or to avoid secondary infection.

Instead of flossing, use soft tooth brush for next few days along with Antiseptic mouthwash like wokadine or Betadine which are alcohol free.

Even while brushing, use only up & down movements for cleaning your teeth so as your gums or gingiva is not hurt on the same place again.

Painkillers with anti-inflammatory drugs can be taken to reduce the pain. After your dentist cleans your teeth, ask for demonstration of proper flossing technique so that you won't repeat any wrong movements during flossing.

Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
I went through your problem & would like to inform you that its gingivitis.I would like to tell you few common reasons for bleeding gums :-

Most of the case bleeding gums are seen in poor oral hygiene with huge calculus deposits.
-It can be because of any blood disorders
-It can be because of hard brush(if the brush is new and it is hard) which has injured your gums(gingiva) leading to bleeding
-Chronic Gingivitis
Most common reason is improper oral hygiene.How many times you brush is not as important as how you brush.You hold your brush with 45 degree angulation to your teeth and give gentle strokes.
Change your brush every 3 months. Start using sensitive paste like Sensodent-k along with 0.2%chlorhexidine mouthwash once daily half an hour after brushing.
Also go for oral prophylaxis once every 6 months & start intake of citrous fruits.If not treated then it might lead to periodontitis i.e. loosening of teeth.Please take care.
Take Care

Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
yours is a very common problem. pieces of food sticking in between teeth is the aggravating factor . pus accumulates in the tissue around teeth which causes pulsating pain and flossing releases the pus which relieves the pain. i feel you should floss regularly and make sure food debris doesn't remain in between teeth as it will rot and cause infection. permanent solution might be to cap one of the teeth so that the contact between the two teeth is tight and does not allow food accumulation.
Dentist Dr. Geoffrey Ward's  Response
Hello and thank you for your question.
Based on what you described chances are you either have imbedding a piece of debris under the gums, you have severe gingivitis or you are flossing improperly.

For debris, see below for proper flossing

Severe gingivitis is inflammation of the gums. This can be to the point that when you floss you actually break and tear apart the tissue. This however will pass with time when you floss daily. Generally two weeks of flossing 1-2 times a day you will notice that the tissue will turn more pink, shrink, tighten up and discontinue to bleed.

For proper flossing: hold the floss around your teeth in a C shape and rub up and down on the side of the tooth 4-6 times. Then floss the other side of the tooth in the same fashion, so you floss both teeth that are touching each other. DO NOT SAW BACK AND FORTH. This will cut the tissue, cause injury and not remove the plaque, food and bacteria correctly.

If your gingiva doesn't improve within a week, go to a dentist to inspect the area. Swish with Listerine once daily and do not rinse your mouth out with water, let the residue sit on your gums for about a half hour.

Best wishes and good health

Dr. Ward