muscle pain in my back

I strained a muscle in my back at work yesterday and when talking to the nurse on the phone who recorded my injury report for the company, I was asked if the pain was in my upper or lower back. I told him it was directly in between, in the middle of my back. He told me "That's not the way the muscles in your back work. It has to be either upper or lower back. So which is it?" Obviously we have muscles in the middle of our back too, so did he give me incorrect information or is it somehow really not possible to strain a mid-back muscle?

Asked On : Fri, 8 Jan 2010
Neurologist, Surgical 's  Response
You are right there is a group of muscles in your mid back too, infact the muscles are there ` paraspinal muscles ` supporting the spine from your neck to your sacrum . They are quite stronger than the upper or lower back gruop so its very rare for them to be in sprain as they are in the fixed thoracic cage and rarley involved in differential motion but forceful rattion can sprain them too. There are cases i had seen with thoracic disc proplapse , so in your case its mainly sprain of yoru thoacic paraspinal muscles due to undue rotational force .
take care
  Anonymous's Response

there is nothing called mid back, your thinking of mid back may be the part of upper back or lower back. divide the back into two halves you have lower back and upper back. if you divide the back into three or four parts then you have many crazy divisions. doctors only have two division upper back and lower back