lung opacity in smoker, What percentage of these opacities are problematic ?

My husband had a chest x-ray for an elective surgery. Days later they told us that he had 3 round/oval opacities in his left lung and should get a ct scan . He is 50 and has smoked since he was 16 years old. He has no symptoms at all of any problem and his oxygen and breathing were great after his surgery. The ct scan will be next week. What percentage of these opacities are problematic ? I am very nervous and would like to as much as possible before we go for his scan.
Asked On : Tue, 11 Jan 2011