irregular heart beat when I went to the doctor

I was told that I had a irregular heart beat when I went to the doctor.? They were suppose to do an echo, the next day, but I did not go. Thought I was fine. That was two yrs ago. I am having back pain now, and I was also told to exercise because it was my muscles that need strengten. Today I was doing some exercise, when I felt a sharp pain like a bolt of lightening on the left side of my chest that last for about half a min. I sat in the chair until it went away, was scare, so now I am wondering if that is a sign something is really wrong with my heart. Not overweight, just lack exercise.
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
You need to be checked by a doctor. If you were supposed to have an echo 2 years ago and didn't do it, you still need to have it done. The heart isn't something to take lightly. Don't think that you are "just fine." When I was 34, I thought I was "just fine", but then I volunteered for a genetic Heart Study where part of the study was to have an echocardiogram done. My echo came back abnormal. Turns out my heart didn't beat as strongly as it was supposed to, so now I take heart medication. My condition can eventually turn into heart failure, but because it was caught, I can now take medication to help avoid future problems. With the medication, I now have a normal echo. So, you be sure to go to the doctor right away and get checked out before you do anymore exercising.