i got black streaks in mucus while coughing. Is it the tar from smoking ?

I have been coughing mucus with black streaks in the morning for the past 4 1/2 months. Maybe 1 or 2 hours after i wake up then nothing for the rest of the day. I just cough up one ball of it. It has subsided a bit since 4 months ago. I have had a chest xray and it was normal. I also quit smoking around 4 months ago so I thought it was just tar coming up. Could this still be the reason? I have also gone to an ENT and he saw an irritation in my throat and gave me medications for acid reflux .
Asked On : Wed, 14 Dec 2011