heart start to flutter

no more then five minutes ago my mom was sitting on our coach and all of a sudden her heart start to flutter .She does have a heart murmer but lately it has really been acting up.But just now we where sitting on the coach watching tv and she popped up and start saying that it felt like her heart beat was not normal it would beat normal and then like stop and twitch was the way she explained it.Then it would magnify like up into her throat and got feeling like it would stop.She got scared and woke my dad up and now they are on there way to the emenrgency room so if any one has an idea of whats going on please post an answer. my mom is a non smoker
Asked On : Tue, 15 Dec 2009
  Anonymous's Response
The fluttering is most likely Atrial Fibrilation, and the stopping (which is not actual stopping) is most likely Premature Atrial Contractions (PAC's) or Premature Ventrical Contractions (PVC's).
I asked my heart doctor that last week, as I have had those flutterings lately. And some are more noticeable than others. And he said there was nothing to worry about. He said al- most everyone has those at one time or another. Now I do know if I have too much caffeine, I will get those. So she maybe should limit her coffee and tea and pops' that have caffeine, which is all but 7 Up and Sprite. I re- member when my mom used to have those. And she was afraid to lay down to sleep. So she sat propped up on the couch. And her doctor told her it was nerve related. She didn't have heart trouble. It went away on it's own tho after a week. I wouldn't worry about your mom having a heart attack. My doctor also mentioned it was pretty much the same for a woman as a man in the symptoms of a heart attack. And he said the pain lasts up to 20 minutes. From the way he described it, it's alot stronger than a pinching sensation. Don't stress yourself out. She might have a long wait in the ER so don't get upset if she doesn't come home very soon. They will check her vitals first and see how im- portant her case is, and then if they think she needs to be seen fast, then she won't have to wait long. Try to sleep since you have school tomorrow probably. I'm sure your dad will wake you, if she had to stay for observation overnight to tell you what happened if anything. Oh, and if she smokes, try to get her to quit. This could be natures way of sending her a message. I had more than a few, before I listened to my heart.
  Anonymous's Response
it is irregular rhythem of heart called arrithmias