details of hypertension

if the blood pressure is 140 over 70, is it hypertension? if not, then what is the problem? its my grandmother... shes 86 years old...
Asked On : Tue, 15 Dec 2009
Random, There are alot of factors in determining if your B/P is high. what is your normal resting blood pressure? If it is something like 110/60 then yes your pressure is up a bit. A "text" book blood pressure is 120-130 over 70-80. I think your pressure is fine. I have never seen an MD start a B?P medicine on anyone with a 140/70 B/P. Find out your family history, if there is a history of high blood pressure then you may have something to worry about in the future. Also what is your age/ To little information to give you a really accurate answer.