can weight loss be a side effect of taking Paxil for long term ?

I have been supervised by doctor in getting off of Paxil CR. I had been on 37.5 mg everyday for 6 months (gradually increased to that dose). As my personal situation changed, I felt I wanted off the Paxil as it had served it s purpose. Doc suggested to go from 37.5 to 25 to 12 mg over a couple weeks, then a 12 mg every other day for 2 weeks. I fould that when I had the 12 mg dose, I started having what I felt were small adrenalin spikes (shocks) that were uncomfortable. I described them to the doctor as small random electrical impulses in my brain . He called it Adrenalin Shocks and suggested a couple of therapies. 1. If I wanted to remain off of the Paxil, he would give me a prescription of .5mg of Xanax to help deal with the anxieties of the shocks, or 2, I could go back on the Paxil CR, which I didn t want to. He said the longest he s seen someone suffer from these after getting of of the Paxil was 6 months and that they should dissipate over time. It s been 3 weeks and it is somewhat lesser of an event for me, but still bothers me. I just take the Xanax before bed to help get my mind calmed down for sleep and don t take it everyday. I will also say, over the last 4 months, I have lost 40 pounds, exercise more and do not have high blood pressure or high chlorestorol either. I m going in for a complete physical here in another 3 weeks, but has anyone heard of this as a side affect? Is it really going to be up to 6 months?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Feb 2011