Based on the information it seems that you are having a long term issue of irregular periods
and most common cause of these kind of problem is an hormonal imbalance caused by condition knows as
POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME
Here is some more information which will help you understand and treatment option are listed along with the ADVICE.
POLY-CYSTIC-OVARIAN-SYNDROME = " multiple , fluid filled cavities in ovary"
NOW FOR simple understanding is not medically accurate just for understanding purpose ONLY.
Main function of ovary is to produce the female sex hormone like estrogen / progesterone
which comes out in a cyclic fashion like 25 days comes estrogen while for 5 days comes progesterone which cause bleeding. This is maintained by brain but the days varies for all females. now due to the PCOS the production of estrogen and progesterone gets disturbed/ may not have enough production on one or the other leading to imbalances and hence makes irregular bleeds as well as problems with pregnancies are seen.
Following are SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF PCOS
2) Weight gain and trouble losing weight.
3) Extra hair on the face and body. Often women get thicker and darker facial hair and more hair on the chest, belly, and back.
4) Thinning hair on the scalp.
5) Irregular periods. Often women with PCOS have fewer than nine periods a year. Some women have no periods. Others have very heavy bleeding.
6) Fertility problems. Many women who have PCOS have trouble getting pregnant (infertility
1) PLEASE SEE OB/GNY
2) Get an PELVIC ULTRASOUND
and check on ovary again
3) Get hormonal profile to have a check on "PCOS" and the hormones in brain that commands the cyclic pattern of the menstrual cycle
4) mostly they will prescribe the ORAL CONTRACEPTIVE
PILL to make the normal cycle go through if things in the brain hormonal balance is stable.
5) Please follow up regularly and take medication as they prescribe to get back on track.