<br>Cysts on pancreas, blood test showed Anaemia , low blood count and blood in stools. Is it caused due to Chrons disease?<br><br>

My husband has had the whipple procedure for a cyst on his pancreas which turned out to be benign. History of crohns, He recently had blood tests which showed anemia and low blood count, and then a stool culture that showed blood in his stool. He has gone in for a colonoscopy and an endoscopy which turned out ok. He is still having blood in stool , usually dark sttols but sometimes you can tell it is blood. For the last few days his stool has been gray or clay like, and loose. Very fatigued. Not sure what to do now.
Asked On : Thu, 28 Feb 2013
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello, tpenner,
If your husband has been diagnosed with Crohn's , he still has Crohn's.
It might have been in remission but there is no cure for it as of today.
Eventhough colonoscopy and upper endoscopy was negative , Crohn's
can be in any part of the digestive tract from mouth down to anus.
If there is blood in the stool and he has anemia , he might need to have
a small bowel series or a capsule endoscopy to see if his Crohn's is
reactivated. As for clay colored stool ,there may be problem with the
biliary tract. He might need to get complete pancreas blood tests and
also stool tests to look for fat , He may have poorly functioning pancreas
(Pancreatic Insufficiency) and may have to have additional tests.
This might include ERCP (Endoscopic retrograde cholangio pancreatography)
I would suggest that your husband see a gastroenterologist for a thorough
I wish him well.