acalculous cholestytis

My father is diagnosed with acalculous cholestytis and was admitted in hospital for 4 days and was given antibiotics and is fine now. I wanted to know is surgery required or will it be cured by antibiotics. He does not have pain in abdomen now

Asked On : Thu, 31 Dec 2009
  Anonymous's Response

Hi.. Acalulous choecystitis secondary to infection can be treated with antibiotics alone. Surgery in such cases is indicated if there are any impending complications developing.  However if the cause has been some other factor, then surgery is mandatory folllowing a course of antibiotics... So  leave it to the treating doctor to decide it surgery is essential in your dad....