Yellowish string in stools,cold and strain. Taking antibiotics. Treatment?

Today I found a yellowish string in my stool and am very concerned. It was not segmented, and was about 4 inches long and a half to one milimeter thick... … Very worried about this, is it like a parasite or something ? I m on antibiotics , and also have been ill with what seems to be a cold , so headaches have been normal to my strain of colds. I ve had abdominal pains on the right side of my body, in the same place and my hands shaky, which isn t normal. The string was stretchy.
Asked On : Sun, 8 Jul 2012
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, I would like to advise that you should get your stool examined for any infection or worm infestation.

You can take a probiotic once a day, as some antibiotics disturb the normal useful bacterial flora present in the intestines. These bacteria help in the process of digestion and absorption. A probiotic helps to restore the useful bacterial flora in the intestines.(It will be more helpful if you mention the names of the medicines you are taking).

You can do deworming by taking Albendazole 400 mg at night, if stool reports indicate worm infestation.

You should eat light meals prepared under hygienic conditions.
Also maintain your hydration.

I hope this is helpful to you.