Yellow discharge from the heel area of shattered foot. Had stitches, antibiotics. Is this normal ?

Hi, my boyfriend shattered his foot . They inserted pins and stitched him up. He was on antibiotics while in the hospital to prevent infection and was there since Wed. He was released yestereday afternoon. He called me today to let me know he was oozing some yellow discharge from the heel area and this worried him a great deal. He is afraid of getting any kind of infection. He does not have any other symptoms like fever or rash and it is not smelly. Is this normal with an open wound?
Asked On : Fri, 3 Aug 2012