X-ray showed nodulo calcific focus at the left mid lung field overlying the 4th anterior rib. Meaning?

Hi Doctor, I m Jhen. I ve got my xray chest result yesterday and here is the findings: There is a nodulo calcific focus at the left mid lung field overlying the 4th anterior rib. There are no other active lung parenchymal infiltrates. The heart is not enlarged. The trachea is at midline. The costophrenic sulci and hemidiaphragms are intact. The osseous and rest of the soft tissues are unremarkable. What is the meaning of this There is a nodulo calcific focus at the left mid lung field overlying the 4th anterior rib ? Im a fit to work? Please need your advice. Thanks.
Asked On : Tue, 12 Jun 2012
Dear Jenelyn,
welcome to hcm,
Kindly mention the details of ur work to tell u if Ur fit for work of not (job description).
the description is suggestive of a long term inflammation which may be bacterial/parasitic.
Kindly mention details about ur smoking habits if any. and exposure to any crowded places/dust/history of allergy to dust or smoke.
Kindly do a Sputum test for AFB and get a Mantoux test done at ur nearest Laboratory to rule out TB.
Thank You:-)

OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response
Hello.
A nodulo calcific lesion in the lung field is suggestive of an old infective focus or a calcified lymph node. It is not indicative of any active infection or pathology in the lung. This finding is not worrisome and does not need any treatment.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal
drrakhitayal@gmail.com
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava's  Response
Depending on symptoms manifest physically,the x-ray shadow may be significant or non significant for now.So it is a natural question why was x ray ordered what are the symptoms and since when?
In absence of symptoms and signs, it may be some old calcific (healed)lesionSo your chest physician should evaluate ,history,signs and symptoms and clinically co-relate x-ray finding.
Radiologist Dr. Kanchanmani's  Response
A nodulo-calcific focus means old granulomatous lesion which should not cause any problem. All other findings are normal.
General & Family Physician Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.'s  Response
Hi welcome to HCMForum. The xray suggests an old infection or primary complex of child hood.
xray should be corelated with the symptoms past history