X-ray showed knee cap fracture. What is the impact of waiting for a proper ortho assessment of the injury?

My father is a Canadian currently in Florida. Today he fell on concrete, was taken by Ambulance to hospital and diagnosed with a fractured kneecap (via xray ). His Canadian insurance company wanted him taken to a different facility but before the transfer occurred he fainted and now the hospital won t release him. I m told his current BP is 129/58 and pulse is 48 (he s 78 yrs old, is a cyclist). The insurance company has twice requested the transfer but the hospital is refusing. The insurance people will not allow him to be examined by the ortho team at this hospital, instead requiring he wait to go to a designated clinic next week. If surgery is required he will be returned to Canada for the surgery. My questions....... What is the impact of waiting for a proper ortho assessment of the injury? Should we be pressing to have that assessment done immedicately or is it OK to wait until next week. What is the safest way to transport him (the leg is splinted). Was the fainting likely a shock type reaction to pain/situation or should we be concerned about a secondary issue? At this time he s resting in the cardiac ward, vitals now 141 over 58, pulse 48. On IV, no pain meds yet.
Asked On : Wed, 9 Jan 2013