X-ray showed fibula fracture at the ankle bone, OS ruled out fracture, persisting swelling, redness. Reason?

Hi, I fell down a flight of stairs 10 days ago. The ER doctor showed me the x-ray and said I had fractured the fibula at the ankle bone. He said as a precaution I needed to see an OS. The OS said the x-ray did not show a fracture. He said it is probably just a sprain but will order an MRI just to be sure. That was last Wednesday and I have not heard back as to a date for the MRI. Today, the 10th day, it is still very swollen, red and feverish to the touch. Why would that happen now? Thanks so much
Asked On : Thu, 13 Dec 2012