X-ray report showing lateral DJD of the left knee, patellofemoral DJD of knees. What does this mean?

My x-ray report reads: View demonstrates moderate narrowing bet the lateral facets of both patellae & adjacent condyles. Minimal osteophytes in both patellofemoral spaces. Mild to moderate narrowing of lateral compartment of left knee with small adjacent osteophytes. Femorotibial spaces of right are well preserved. There is no effusion . Impression: Lateral DJD of the left knee. Patellofemoral DJD of both knees. What does this all mean/what kind of treatment is needed?? My left knee (front) pains me & sometimes gives out when walking. Thanks so very much for any information/advise!!
Asked On : Thu, 22 Nov 2012