X-ray normal after shoulder injury, bump over collarbone, now AC ligament separation found. Surgery?

Hi, Our family was on vacation two years ago, and I flew over the handlebars of a mountain bike . I came down on my shoulder and head. Thankfully I had a helmet on. When we came back from vacation I got an X-ray . The doctor s took 1 x-ray of the left shoulder (which was the only thing that hurt at that point) and said nothing was broken But was anything wrong?. They asked me to move it and I did. It hurt a lot but I MOVED it. The diagnosis was that I had bruised it good, and I went along with that. But as time went on, 1 and 1/2 years to be exact, I got fed up and diagnosed myself. My shoulder still didn t feel right. It didn t hurt as much, but it felt weak, there still was a slight bump over the collarbone end (sleeping on the left side and compressing the shoulder made the bump enlarge), and it felt like any weight applied could snap it at any moment. I diagnosed myself with at least a grade 2-3 AC separation, and pushed the dostors for more x-rays, and I told THEM that for this injury doctors often ask patients to hold a weight on the injured side to pronounce the deformity . And guess what they found- a slightly raised, out of place collarbone, or and AC ligament separation. Why it never showed up earlier, I don t know. But now, what can I do? It has healed wrong and will always give me trouble. I ve heard surgery is risky and may make matters worse. Inactivity makes it achy and activity only helps so much. The bump causes slight neck stiffness and it makes my whole shoulder feel like it is in a constant slump that I can t adjust. Would surgery in the future be a good option? And the cost of it? Or should I wear a brace for the time being? And what would be the best one for an old injury?
Asked On : Tue, 14 Aug 2012