X-ray could not show anything after an accident. Having pain and swelling. Surgery needed?

About 15 years ago I got in a car accident and hit the steering wheel with my chest. The hospital took ex-rays, etc. and said there was no broken bones. Since then I have had pain in what I have recently found out from online research from the area called ixphoid process or 7th costal cartilage. The local hospital took ex-rays again after feeling a protruding lump and so did the VA clinic. The ex-ray machine scanned the area above this area and below this area, but couldn t see the ixphoid process. Too feel it, it is the size of a silver dollar or smaller than a chicken egg. Over the years it appears to be growing and causes pain when I eat or sit for long periods. Is surgery to remove it possible? How can I reduce the pain. It s constant and varies from level 5-8 on any given day. My email address is YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013