Wrist pain with vein swollen and blue. No injury. Cause?

Hi, for the past three days I have had agonising pain in my left wrist , stretching across the back of my hand and into my thumb , just below the back of my thumb, at the base of my wrist, the vein has swollen up and is blue, depending on how i move my wrist, other veins in the back of my hand also swell up more than normal, and certainly more than the right hand. I can not weight bare with my left hand, nor move it it very much without pain, but i have not to my knowledge, injured or knocked, or in any way caused trauma to it, The pain feels like a break, even though i can move it. Can you offer advise? thanks.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Jun 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear patient,

Based on the location of the pain, and descriptive features it may be related to a tendinitis, specifically called DeQuervain's tendinitis, an inflammation of the tendon that lines up with the thum. An easy manuever to confirm is to put your thumb towards your palm, then closing that palm making a fist and then moving the wrist medially (towards the midline); a sharp, exacerbation of the pain at the base or along the thumb line is very specific.

If so, then ice compresses, a wrist guard and anti-inflammatories can be prescribed by a physician.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN