Wrist pain, swollen arm after failed IV insertion. Tried cold compress. Back to hospital?

Good morning. My mother was in the hospital last week and on Wednesday the nurse tried to insert an IV in her wrist several times but failed. She was released on Thursday then on Friday her wrist started hurting her and her arm swelled. Her hand and wrist is swollen, she s in terrible pain and it s warm to the touch. We were trying cold compresses but a doctor at Patient First said to use heat but she s not getting any better. Should I take her back to the hospital? Thanks for your advice. Patti
Asked On : Thu, 7 Mar 2013