Wrist pain, episodes of GOUT. X-ray showed arthritic changes. Have scaphoid fracture. Explain

My husband has been suffering from right wrist pain for over one month now. Initially, his wrist was very swollen and red. Since he has a history of a couple of episodes of gout (ankles), it was assumed he was having a gout flare in the wrist. He has been on Relafen and took Colcrys for two weeks, with no relief. An xray showed an old fracture of the scaphoid bone , with necrosis to the head of the scaphoid and some arthritic changes. He saw an orthopedic surgeon who believes gout is causing his pain in his wrist, but surgery may be needed for the old fracture. He was given a steroid injection in his wrist, and it s been 6 days with no relief. He has completely lost the use of his right hand due to this problem. Could the scaphoid fracture be causing all of his pain? It has been 15 years since the injury likely occurred.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Mar 2013