Worried about getting tooth extracted because there is a hole in the gum. Advice?

hello. for over a year i have had a hole in my bottom gum under my tooth and its exposing some of the tooth. it doesnt hurt. and i want to go to the dentist in beggining of sept when i get back from michigan. but my best friend scared me and told me the tooth might need to be pulled.there is like a piece of gum that can be which will make hole not be cut so the whole won t be there anymore. when i went to the dentist last year they said to go to a gum specialist and they will do that. but then my tooth will be exposed. i cant discribe it. so i am going to send a picture. just was wondering what the dentist will do and if i will have to lose my tooth. im 25 and don t want to not have a tooth! thanks so much!
Asked On : Thu, 16 Aug 2012