Woke up with pain in big toes, tender to touch. What could it be ?

My 6 year old son woke up this morning with pain in his big toes. Tender to the touch and not when there isn t pressure on them it is on his toe pad and the side of his big toes. It isn t where an ingrown toenail would be. More pain in his right toe than his left. What could it be. Could it be a bloodstream infection? He was in to see the doctor for severe lower left stomach pain last week that eventually went away. But no blood tests were done.
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013