Woke up with difficulty swallowing, big tonsil. Taking ibuprofen still painfull, earache. What to do?

Hello there... 3 days ago I woke up from a little sleep about 60 minutes however I think I slept at a funny angle with my neck.... As I woke it was really painful to swallow on the left hand side .... My tonsil feels like its the size of a tennis ball... But is just normal size with no inflammation to see..... 3 days on and I am taking 400mg of ibroprufen it helps with the pain but is getting worse now... Not only when I swallow... It is painfull and aches as I just sit.... My ear feels like its aching aswell.
I have never had any throat or toncil problems and I'm never really ill as a 44 year old male. But this is driving me mad and I cannot sleep the last 2 nights with the severe pain. I went to my gp today and he could not see anything visually and said to carry on with the pain killers for a week...... But it feels like its nearly unbearable constant pain and I will not be able to get any sleep again. Any advice please??
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013