Wisdom tooth removed, pain, swelling on check, purulent discharge. Is this infection?

Hi, I got my wisedom tooth (bottom right) removed 5 days ago. The surgeon stated that there shouldn't be any swelling as the procedure was fairly simple. The first few days I had no pain but leading to the 4-5th I have had a lot of pain in the area of the extraction. There is a large golf ball shaped, very hard and painful swelling on my cheek that has not decreased since the extraction. I actually think the swelling has gotten harder and worse as the days have progressed. I noticed a foul taste in my mouth and checked what it was, and found it was a purulent discharge, this discharge has been persistent since the last day and a half. What should I do? Is this a sign of infection?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Oct 2013