Will taking a biopsy of lung tumor cause the cancer to spread to other parts of the body?

Dear Doctor Oana, My father in-law just took a CT-Scan and the Radiologist report quoted below, as far as I understand, seems to say that he has BRONCHOGENIC CARCINOMA . However when we showed the CT-Scan report to the Oncologist yesterday he said that Radiologist report means that he MAY have cancer and the only way to know for sure is to have a thoracic surgeon do a biopsy of the chest then they would know exactly what kind of growth he has, whether it is small cell carcinoma or even benign and only then will they know how to treat it. I told him that I saw a video of american oncologist who said the once you take a biopsy you are increasing the chance that the cancer will spread all over the body but he disagreed and said that it depends on the location of the cancer. He said that if it is ovarian cancer then that is true but not with lung cancer . My intuition tells me that he was not telling the whole truth because he did not want to scare us. Please let us know whether taking a biopsy of his lung tumors will increase the risk of the cancer spreading especially considering that my father in-law does not want to take any chemotherapy or radiation . Also, doesn t the Radiologist report below conclusively state that he has cancer and if so, it there a cure and what is the survival rate? Thank you very much for providing this service and we are anxiously looking forward to your response. Please see his CT-Scan report below along with an excerpt from his blood test report. Regards, Agni Dasa ----------------------------------------------------- Radiology Department CT Scan Report ----------------------------------------------------- Sex: Male Date: 24-09-2012 Age: 77 Years Tel: 745-0593 Clinical data: R/O BRONCHOGENIC CARCINOMA FINDINGS: NON-CONTRAST The trachea and mediastinum are central. Moderate cardiomegally noted. Normal appearances of the supra-aorticand aorta. There is 6.7cm x 6.6cm left hilar mass noted. Multiple mediastinal nodes are present, the largest node measures 2.3cm x 1.7cm left para-tracheal. Right lung is unremarkable. The left lower lobe bronchus is compressed with associated distal atelacteasis. Appearances favours Left Bronchogenic Carcinoma. degenerated changes seen only in the imaged bones. Visualized upper abdomen viscera appear normal apart from 1.6cm renal cortical cyst mid pole anteriorly in left kidney. Radiologist =================================== BLOODTEST RESULT: 22-9-2012 HAEMATOLOGY --------------------------- WHOLEBLOOD WBC * 9.51 10^3uL 3.10 - 8.50 BASO% * 0.22 % .3 - 1.5 MONO * 0.97 10^3uL .3 - 0.9 IMMUNOLOGY T-UPTAKE * 0.7 TBI 0.8 - 1.3 CA 125 9 U/ml 0 - 35 CA 19.9 * 33 U/ml 0 - 25 CA 15.3 * 32.21 U/ml 0 - 25
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012