Will prolotherapy help to cure dislocated knee ?

I have an eight year old, with Down Syndrome. I wondered if Prolotherapy would help with her two knees which dislocate frequently.
Asked On : Thu, 23 Jun 2011
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Pain control does not require in this child
rather it require a muscle evaluation to strenghten the weak ones, because that is the main cause of the dislocation for that proper understanf=ding and physiotherapy can be tried
but in case of no resul of so evaluation with x ray and surgical intervention will be necesseary
I still need further infromation to know more about type of dislocation to decide the mode of actual t/t.
you can contact me at 9898045103 or else tell your contact
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Manohar Babu KV's  Response
Dear patient

By assessing the information provided by you it appears that you have structual problem in the knee which needs to be corrected for long term betterment. Surgery is one of the option to correct the the extensor alignment of the knee.
Surgery would be lateral release, medial advancement and quadricepsplasty. the long term results of this proceedure is excellent.
Dr Manohar Babu KV
Consultant Pediatric Orthopaedics and deformity correction
Apollo Hospitals

Prolotherapy is meant for treatment of chronic pain. Even if your kid has pain, its necessary to treat the cause rather than symptomatically managing it.

The treatment for bilateral knee (patellar) dislocation is Physiotherapy initially. i.e quads strengthening exercises, which would be suggested by the Physiotherapist. Try it for atleast 6-8 weeks.

If there's no improvement in pain, I recommend surgery. It will also avoid future complications such as secondary osteoarthritis, severe pain and knee stiffness.

Clinical co-relation is advised however to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope my answer was helpful to you. For further queries, please write back to me. I will be available for your follow up.

Thank you.