Will nitrofurantoin macro help to cure from tooth infection ?

will nitrofurantoin macro help with a tooth infection?
Asked On : Sat, 11 Jun 2011
Dentist 's  Response
hi and welcome,
Nitrofurantoin is the medication used to deal with gram negative anaerobic bacteria and its use is rare dentistry.
If your tooth is infected i would suggest you to go for treatment because no infected tooth can be treated alone with medication.
Antibiotics like amoxycillin, cephalosporins are used effectively in treating dental infections.
please get your case examined by a dentist and go for a appropriate treatment.
take care.

Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
Nitrofurantoin is mostly used to treat urinary tract infections
This medicine is an antibiotic. It works by killing bacteria or preventing their growth. However, this medicine will not work for colds, flu, or other virus infections.
This medicine is available only with your doctor's prescription.
In case of tooth infections the mechanism and batericidal action of antibiotics are more effective .
You can contact me again directly through my profile.
Regards.
Dr Neha Gupta
Dentist

Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
Nitrofurantoin is antibiotic used to treat urinary tract infections as it is more effective in treating the bacteria causing the infection .
In case of tooth infections pencillin, cephalosporins,beta lactamase inhibitors based on the mechanism and batericidal action of antibiotics are more effective .
See your dentist for the clinical examination of the teeth and take the medication as prescribed by the doctor .
Hope this information helps you.

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend , thanx for sharing you concern,

nitrofurantoiion is used exclusively for urinary tract infection .

no problem if you have already taken but it will not help much in oral infections.

for oral infection you should go for amoxycillin or cephalosporins .

one more thing i would suggest please seek your dentist advice before self medication because in dental treatment medicine alone doesn't help much.

regards, thanx

Dentist Dr. Deepika Attresh's  Response
hello & welcome
nitrofurantoin is a bacteriostatic drug and mainly used for urinary tract infection, and as a replacement when some infections get antibiotic resistant.
for infection of tooth there are so many other drugs which are very helpful, so i will advise you to visit your dentist so that on the basis of particular diagnosis further comments can be added.
thanks & take care

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
HELLO,

Thanks for writing in.

NITROFURANTOIN is a bacteriostatic drug which inhibits gram-negative bacteria.

This drug is indicated in uncomplicated lower urinary tract infections,but it is infrequently used now.

If you c/o toothache,please do visit a dentist and get a thorough examination.

I would suggest you to take medicines as per doctor's prescription.

hope this helps.

regards

dr.bindiya
Dentist Dr. Abid Pasha's  Response
Nitrofurantoin is only clinically proven for use against E- coli and Staphylococcus saprophyticus. Both these bacteria are commonly found in the lower intestine.

The bacteria most responsible for dental cavities are most prominently Streptococcus mutans and Streptococcus sobrinus, and lactobacilli.

SO its better to take an antibiotic which acts on these bacteria.

General & Family Physician Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Good Day
Nitrofurantoin is a bacteriostatic drug and won't help in such a situation. Kindly consult your Dentist before taking any medication as there are specific antibiotics for each organism and needs to be understood before attempting treatment. This is done best by the Dentist/Doctor.

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.