Will night shifts coupled with martial arts effect me in the long run?

Dear Doc I work night shifts 11.00 pm to 10.30 am .. After I come back I sleep around 2.00 pm in the afternoon .. I wake up around 6.30 and go for martial arts classes for about 1 and half hrs .. I weigh about 80 kgs right now and go for 3 classes a week .I want to know if night shifts coupled with martial arts effect me in the long run
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Definitely this night shift plus martial arts will affect you in the long run. As you know the body repairs itself during sleep. From what you have written you are getting only 4 and a half hours of sleep per day.
The average human being needs at least 6-8 hours of sleep per day to function optimally.

Please get at least a minimum of 6 hours of sleep a day.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan