Will I be able to lift heavy objects post forearm fracture surgery n and will the platinum plates give any side effects ?

i hv facture in my right forearm (radicus & ulna )(1.05.11) last week. after(2.05.11) surgery doctors fixed a platinum 2 plates in my forearm. now i hv a questions. 1. in future i hv a probleam due to plates which is fixed inside my forearm? 2. can i do all heavey work like before? 3. what will be side effect of tatinum plates? 4. how much time take my bobes to propper repair? pls. advise asap
Asked On : Wed, 11 May 2011
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response
there will be no problem with the plates unless infected.
you have to wait till the bone unites and then carry out with heavy activities. this will take around three months.
i would advice you start doing static exercises in the plaster cast and finger movements. this is what many people dont do. hence they experience pain and stiffness on plaster removal.
there is no side effect of these plates once accepted by the body

General & Family Physician Dr. Anand Babu M's  Response
Hi welcome to Healthcare Magic

1. once the bone gets fused, after 1 or 2 yrs, the plates will be removed..
2. Until there is complete fusion of both the bones, avoid heavy, works..
3. There is no side effects of platinum on the body..
4. Normally around 90 to 100 days, it will take for complete fusion of the bone..
Hi Sushma,
I have put down the answers in the manner you have asked for..

1. You wont have a problem with the plates, unless it gets infected. Any foreign substance in the body can get infected. However nowadays the rates of infection have drastically come down.

2. you can do heavy work like before. Based on your xrays done at 6 weeks time, your Doc will advise minor activities with your hand. Restoration to heavy work should be gradual and depends on your Xrays. If everything goes as planned, you should be able to carry out heavy work after 6 months.

3. There's no side effects to Platinum plates. Hence, is it used in the human body.

4. 6-8 months would be the ideal time by which your bones would get repaired.

Keep actively moving your fingers all the time for easier restoration to normalcy and a speedy recovery.