Why to apply oil and massage before bath?

why to apply oil and massage before bath?
Asked On : Wed, 13 Apr 2011
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
Hello Neene
Welcome to HCM
Thanks for your query
Massage is called "Abhyanga" in Ayurveda.
You should apply oil and do massage daily before bath.
This increases your blood circulation.
This makes you young and fresh.
This makes you healthy and disease free.
This makes your skin smooth.
So, this is very helpful.
  Anonymous's Response
Dear Neene,
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum .
You need to apply oil for lubrication and softening of the skin and massaging imporves blood circulation all over the body which helps to increase the strength of the muscles of the body and so child learns to get up and walk somewhat earlier than usual.

Hope this helps,
dr jignesh parmar
Homeopath ahmedabad
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Padarabind Patra's  Response
thanks for your question.In ayurveda oil massage is called abhyang is traditionally performed in morn. before bath.Oil self massage is must in winter before bath.Benifits from massage are : Increased circulation especially to nerve endings,Toning of the muscles & Calming for the nerves , Lubrication of the joints ,Softer smoother skin , Better & deeper sleep at night etc.You can use sesame or almond or coconut oil for your body massage........thanks.........
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Munish Sood's  Response
1. applying the said procedure "abhyang" or massage before bath helps in calming the nerves and their endings specially in areas of soles of feet,palms of hand and along the base of finger nails.
2. this abhyang works both on the body as well as mind resulting in cooling/calming effect on mind,body and emotions.
3. basicaally this procedure is done to increase circulation in body, toning of the muscles alongwith good,fairer,glowing skin.
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Packriswamy Sambangi's  Response
Massage is the manipulation of superficial and deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue using various techniques, to enhance function, aid in the healing process. decrease muscle reflex activity, inhibit motor -neuron excitability.Promote relaxation and well -being and as a recreational activity.
Oil massage helps strengthen and balance your whole body, improve circulation and vitality and rejuvenates your skin.
This massage uses Sesame oil and it is recommended as part of any daily routine because it rejuvenates and revitalizes the physiology.
It is very convenient oil massage before with a warm bath or shower.
Use a mild soap.
General & Family Physician Dr. Siva Prasad Reddy Pesala's  Response
Oil used as lubricant between two surfaces. while doing massage to reduce the friction between two skin surfaces oil will be applied. Massage increase the blood circulation and make you feel more relaxed and active.
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul's  Response
Dear neene
In ayurveda this feature gets mention right from day one as it is part of Dincharya [ daily routine].Dr. Patra has explained it nicely but i would like to add that it gains concern when we suggest oils as per prakriti of the person or prevelant dosha in body. In vat sesame oil is used in pit cocconut oil is used and in kaph mustard oil is used. where massage rejuvinates the muscles it also detoxifies the body in which toxins are released just as squeezing of the sponge. it is highly relaxing and fills mind with pleasure and confidence.