Why there is knee pain after standing for long hours ?

I have knee pain on my left leg. what is this. i am 34 years old. cannot stand for long time. not heavy pain.
Asked On : Sun, 11 Mar 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

There are numerous causes and conditions that produce pain in the knee joint. One of the commonest conditions that affects your age people is Patello-femoral arthritis (wear & tear in the cartilage of the kneecap & thigh bone)

A detailed clinical examination & a few investigations are needed to establish a correct diagnosis of your problem.

The general recommendations for Anterior knee pain are as follows -

- Avoid any activities that increase the pain such as climbing stairs and deep knee bending movements.
- Use over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen as & when needed
- Weight loss alone will often fix the problem if you are substantially overweight.
- Specific exercises can strengthen the muscles that support your knees and control limb alignment, such as your quadriceps, hamstrings and the muscles around your hips.

I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further management.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day