Why is there bad taste in my tongue ?

I have a bad taste on my tounge and have had it for a while, I had it a few months back but it went away. Now it is back. Could something be seriously wrong?
Asked On : Thu, 17 Feb 2011
  Anonymous's Response
Thank you, Dr. Kumar,
I am an ex-smoker, I quit smoking over 8 years ago. I will take your suggestion and start taking a B-complex vitamin with zinc.
ENT Specialist Dr. Naveen Kumar's  Response

Were you on any medications before this? Any smoking? There can be damaged taste buds (smoking) or a vitamin or mineral deficiency (B-12 or zinc) causing altered sense of taste. In order for foods to have taste, they must be dissolved in water. So, if you are having a dry mouth, then the ability to taste will be decreased. Try consuming plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and also try taking Vitamins (such as B-complex with zinc).

Dr. Naveen Kumar