Why is the color of my blood black on the first and last day of my periods ?

I am 33 yrs old woman. from some months I am having black blood on the very first day of my periods .On the last day it is also dark than usual..but there is not any smell or pain. Also on the third day my periods stops for 5 to 6 hours and then starts again and lasts in 7 days . Please advice is it normal?
Asked On : Mon, 28 Feb 2011
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.
It is normal to have blackish or even brown blood when your periods start as this blood comes from shed old endometrium. Your cycle is normal and there is nothing to worry.Bleeding stopping for few hours is also normal.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal