Why is proton pump inhibitor given to a hypertensive and hypothyroid for nasal block, itchiness in the nose and ears ?

My 59 y.o. mother-in-law has been suffering from the following set of symptoms since the last couple of months: nasal blockage in both nostrils with no or little discharge which is colourless, itchiness in nose as well as inside the ears and occasionally, the throat. She complains of occasional ache on the left cheek or behind the left eye-ball. She suffers from high blood pressure for which she takes Losar 50mg. She also takes Thyroxin 75 mg for hypothyrodism. She s had her gall bladder removed a decade ago. We consulted a local ENT who prescribed Xyzal and Raciper-D 40 mg for 10 days. But she suffered from Raciper-D s side effects of nausea/vomitting and diarhhoea on the first day itself. I m asking this question here to for further guidance - why a proton pump inhibitor was prescribed for her symptoms? Can she safely discontinue it? Or substitute it with Parit ?
Asked On : Tue, 13 Mar 2012