Why is my period is lasting so long?

Hi. I am 27 years old and lately my period has been different. I normally bleed for about 5 days starting out heavy ang getting lighter. But last month it started out light and only lasted for 3 days. And this month I have been bleeding for 8 days already and it has gotten lighter but its still heavy enough that I have to wear a pad. What s going on?
Asked On : Thu, 17 Mar 2011
Nephrologist 's  Response
Looks like you are having hormonal disturbances, you will need an USG scan and consult a OBG doctor. She might put you on a hormonal tablet like Pause MF.
OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.
These are just routine hormonal changes and every low flow period is almost always followed by a compensatory heavy and longer period.There is nothing to worry. Your next period is likely to be normal. Just wait and watch.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal