Why is my knee bruised severely where cortisone injection was given ?

I suffer from ITBS in my knee . I am a runner and after visiting my ortho doctor , he recommended a cortisone injection. The first one (about a year ago) worked wonders. However, I am still having trouble with my knee. I recently (two weeks ago) had another injection. This time, my knee hurt severely for about a week and a half afterwards and is bruised terribly where the injection was given. I tried to run today and had to stop because of the pain. What to do? Help!
Asked On : Mon, 31 Jan 2011