Why is folic acid and zicofer taken during pregnancy ?

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF FOLIC ACID AND ZICOFER IN PREGANANCY IM 35 I HAVE ANEAMIA -CAN I TAKE FOLIC ACID AND ZICOFER CAPUILS AT THE SAME TIME
Asked On : Thu, 14 Jul 2011
Nephrologist 's  Response
Folic acid is given to prevent neural tube defects. And Iron tablets are given to prevent anemia and anemia induced growth retardation.
Have a healthy living
General & Family Physician Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani's  Response
Hi,thanks for query.During pregnancy the maternal requirement of iron goes up due to growing baby.This is the reason for supplementation.Zicofer is a iron supplement.Folic acid is important to prevent birth defect in growing baby,its deficiency leads to serious fetal malformation in the baby.Please take them as advised and you can take it same time.
wishing you good health.