Why is Dexamethasone injection given during pregnancy? Safe for baby?

Hi I am pregnant week 21 - 22. I am 39 years old. my doctor decided to give me dexamethasone injection after 2 weeks. week 24 she find that I have sugar in my urine test. she requested blood sugar test ( cola test ) I wish to know for what this injection ? is it because the head probably of the baby seems to be big? or the sex organs of the baby are big? she told me it is baby girl it is very clear. I read a lot in the internet about the use of dexa injection during pregnancy and i become more confused and is it safe for me and my baby? thanks
Asked On : Fri, 1 Mar 2013