Why have I not got my periods after a miscarriage ?

hi i had a miscarraige last october and still havnt had a proper period is this normal?
Asked On : Thu, 3 Mar 2011
Radiologist 's  Response
Its normal for periods to delay by 4-6 weeks post abortion to reappear normally.If it is delayed beyond 6-8 weeks you need to see your gynaecologist to rule out other causes.
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Jasvinder Singh's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic. It has already been close to 4 months when you had miscarriage and if you are not having any menstrual cycles as yet, then it need an immediate gynecological examination as periods normally return after 28 days of miscarriage but it can take up to 6 or 7 weeks for your period to return.

Causes of amenorrhea like adhesion formation and Asherman syndrome need to be ruled out. Hope it helps you. Regards.

Thankyou for your response, last month i had what i though might have been a period, but there was only a small bit of red blood, the rest was brown n lasted for afew days, but since then nothing?went to see my GP just before xmas and she said was normal and they wouldnt do anything untill it has been 6months, should i go back then?
Hi Laura,

If it has been more than one month that you had bleeding( small bit ) then you can get an ultrasound uterus done. But if the small bit of bleeding that you had last month was less than 30 days ago, then you can wait for your periods. After D+C , body takes time to settle down and hence periods may be irregular( like start with little bleeding).

I hope it helps. Regards.