Why doesn't my 2 and half year old child talk and what measures can I take ?

hello gu evening i am jyothsna my son have 2.10years till now he can t talk any thing wat is the problem can u suggest me how to approch
Asked On : Sat, 12 Mar 2011
Dear Jyothsna,
Thanks for choosing healthcare magic to get answer to your queries. I am really sorrry to hear about your sons's problem and am sure it must be arousing a lot of anxiety and questions in your mind.
A child's development happens in a step by step manner..neck control leading to sitting to crawling to standing to walking...similarly for speech his oral musculature should be developing appropriately as in is he cutting his he able to chew and eat ..does he produce any sounds at all or is completly mute..How would you rate his hearing ability..does he respond to when called, respond to loud noises or sounds in the environment...hearing is dircectly reated to speech acquisition.And if your son is doing all his other activities like showing curiosity , responding emotionaly age appropriately , is able to walk etc then the speech might just be delayed. But this defenetily calls for an immediate assessment so we'r do not miss out any need for assisstance that your son may require.
Please visit a speech language pathlogist for a detailed assessment immediately to check for any gap in speech development and if required you may also have to get an appointment with a audiologist to get his hearing ability assessd too..
and before you go It would be great if you could write observations about his current hearing responses as well as if hes producing any sounds like "dada" or maybe just aaaaaaaaaaaa or ooooo or eeeee...
Please do revert back and let us know the assessment results and for any other assisstance required

All the best
Smriti Sawhney
Clinical Psychologist
RCI-Reg no -A-12344