Why does the puss pocket on the tooth treated with root canal hurt ?

I had a root canal done on my front tooth about 5 years ago. It has an enamel cap on it. It has 3 puss pockets over it and hurts. What could be wrong with it? I am 73 years old, 6 3 tall. I am currently taking an antibiotic. Bill
Asked On : Mon, 13 Jun 2011
Dentist 's  Response
It looks like there is some infection in the particular area. You have to consult your dentist to identify the reason of infection. Infection could be of the tooth or gums.Accordingly treatment can be obtained.
Dentist Dr. Niharika Dhalla's  Response
hi , first of all stop taking antibiotics without recommedation from your doctor visit your dentist as soon as possible . It may be because of improper root canal or improper tooth capping or because of poor gum health ... treatment will be planned out according to the diagnosis out of three above mentioned.

Dentist Dr. E. Bharathikannan's  Response
first take an xray of that tooth and examine the rct treated tooth's present condition. probably since it has been 5 years rct done will be of no issue, the surrounding gums may be infected due to food accumulation beneath crown of your rct treated tooth . take care.
Dentist, Implantology Dr. Manish Juneja's  Response
Hello Billy,
its been a quiet some tome now that u have got a root canal done. must see your dentist and allow him to take some x rays to analyse what is wrong with it. tartar accumulation around the margins of ur teeth is one possibility which can be thoroughly cleaned by your dentist. visit your dentist. antibiotics will only give a temporary relief the cause of the problem should be removed to prevent from having the problem again.
take care

Dentist Dr. Gaurav Pratap Singh's  Response
go for dental x-ray 1st.if same tooth creat problem go for reroot canal treatment.pus can be due to trauma to that root canal treted tooth.
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
Finish your antibiotic course and after that if you do not feel relief then go to dentist and see that near bye teeth are affected of route canal tooth.
go for the treatment according to his advice.
ok and bye.
Dentist Dr. M.Karthikeyan's  Response
actual cause may due to ur poor oral hygiene gum may be infected or ur cap will be improperly fit in the margin of ur teeth and food gets accumulated and u may got infection first consult ur gum specialist and go for curettage with drug regimen