Why does the brown gunk appear on the chipped tooth ?

Every morning since I chipped my tooth this brown gunk in the morning is stuck to my two front tooth...Why is that?
Asked On : Fri, 25 Feb 2011
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome ,

Chipping of the tooth is nothing but wearing out of the outer cover of the tooth known as enamel.

Abrasive effect on the front teeth and chipping of enamel exposes the underlying dentin making the tooth sensitive to heat and cold.

Further abrasion of the tooth may wear the dentin off and may expose the tooth nerve tissue know as dental pulp .

brown junk waht you can see is may be the pulp tissue. i would suggest you to consult a dentist and get a x ray examination done which will show the exact amount of damage.

such teeth needs root canal treatment followed by a prosthetic crown coverage to esthetic look to the front teeth.

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Brown junk on your teeth is nothing but the exposed dentin,very rarely a blood clot too.

I would suggest you to visit your dentist and get the vitality of tooth checked.

further it can be restored by composite restoration for esthetic reasons, as you have mentioned it is your front teeth.

I would also suggest you not to delay in this because it might cause further damage and the pulp might get damaged causing lots of pain.

hope it helps.
take care.

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Due to chipping of your tooth resulted in wearing of the outer surface of the tooth which is known as enamel, resulting in exposed dentine . dentine is sensitive to hot and cold.

Brown junk can also be exposed pulp tissue or a blood clot .
I would suggest you to go for an x-ray of the tooth , depending upon which treatment will be decided.

If it is not involving pulp tissue you can go for an composite filling, or you have to go for RCT of the tooth followed by prosthetic crown placement .

Hope this helps out.

Dentist Dr. Gaurav Pratap Singh's  Response
it is exposed dentine (because if pulp is exposed it will cause pain) i.e. part of tooth go for composite filling.

Dentist Dr. Benley George's  Response
The fractured tooth might have exposed the pulp. As a result small oozing of blood occurs which turns brown and adheres to the tooth. Consult your dentist without any delay.
General Surgeon Dr. Faraz Ahmed's  Response
thanks for query
i think the teeths have gunk because of sugary things.
before it destroys your teeth you should visit a doctor for help
Dentist Dr. Srividya Rao Vasista's  Response
Hi There,
Do you have any pain in the region? How long ago did you chip your tooth?
Please get an X-Ray taken ASAP. This will assess if the pulp of the tooth is exposed or if there is a root fracture.
The brown discharge may be blood. When it is mixed with saliva & oxidised,blood turns brown.
Consult a dentist at your earliest.
Thanks & take care

Dentist Dr. E. Bharathikannan's  Response
probably your tooth chipped off exposing pulp chamber. when blood ozzes out and clots it becomes your so called brown junk. before it gets infected and hurts , visit a dentist and go for a rct of that tooth. then can have a tooth colored ceramic crown. take care . happy smile