Why does my heart beat fast and breathing gets worse when I don't smoke ?

I am 21 years old and i have been drug free for over 2 years now(not including alchol on occasion). the reason i mention this is because i used to take alot of psychodelic drugs and i think this might be part of the reason. im also a pack a day smoker for 3 years. anyway, for the past 8 months ive had troubles taking in a full breath of air and my heart beats hard. also, my heart rate use to be about 60-65bpm, now its is usually around 75bpm. i went to see the corpman and he said i had a lung infection and loaded me up with antibiotics for a week and it did not change. when i wake up in the morning its not as bad as later on in the day. when i drink an energy drink or coffee(obviously my heart rate rises) but mybreathing gets worse. and i know its wierd but when i smoke it seems to no bother me as much. I am 5 11 150 lbs.
Asked On : Mon, 13 Jun 2011