Why does my baby cry when I give her head bath and change her diaper ?

My 18 month old cries, sometimes screams when I wash her hair , not when I comb it or anything just when I wash, we use a gentle shampoo with no dyes or perfumes in it, she also cries and screams when her diaper is being changed and we use the wipes to clean her, like she is in pain in both cases. Could these be related? She has done this consistently since she was about 6 mos old. My pediatrician looks at me like I am whacked when I ask him about it!
Asked On : Sat, 9 Apr 2011
welcome to HealthcareMagic
The problem you are facing is more of a mental or psychological problem than any disease.Some children fear suffocation when water is put on head while washing the hair;and even in case of changing diaper there might have been some incident when she might have suffered pain while doing it.Please try to console her and assure her that you are not harming her also while washing hairs put water slowly and keep on asking her whether it hurt.Slowly she will gain confidence and may be later she will not scream.Also during changing diapers keep on asking her and do it playfully as she likes it and in few days she should be fine.