Why does my 3 month old daughters hand, arm and leg appear larger ?

since birth my 3 month old baby s hand, arm and leg appear larger on one side of her body than the this normal
Asked On : Mon, 14 Mar 2011
if the difference is more compared to normal side then better to contact a may be associated with other organ problems like kidney.but its not easy to say without detail examination. better consult a pediatrician from a teaching hospital or medical college.dont negelect. after examination only dr. can give particular diagnosis.
take care
Pediatrician Dr. Ganesh V Kamath K's  Response
Hi, While asymmetry is normal in most cases, we must also rule out conditions where one half of the body is pathologically bigger than the other half. Such conditions are medically termed Hemihypertropy conditions. Some are part of syndromes like Beckwith-Wiedemann Syndrome etc. Hence the way to go for your baby would be by a visit to a pediatrician, who will assess your baby and then suggest of additional investigations as required. Do keep me posted on the developments.

Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Ram Mani Bhandari's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
Most people have arms or legs that are different lengths. In fact, it is normal for leg lengths to be different by as much as one centimeter.
When your child is young, we will follow the discrepancy to make sure we know exactly how big the difference will be when your child stops growing. If the discrepancy is not causing symptoms, we will probably not treat it.
Nothing to worry if it is uneven in large length contact paediatrician